We would like to update you about the spring season which has been affected by COVID-19.
Our staff and volunteer board of directors have been working non stop to keep hope alive for the Spring 2020 season, using the latest information about COVID-19 and Washington state regulations. Our highest priority is the health of our players, parents, referees, spectators and staff.
Practices have been postponed, the season start date moved until later in the spring and the Lilac Tournament changed to a friendly jamboree. Players would forgo handshakes with the opponents and referees after the game and social distancing would be encouraged during all non-game activities. However, soccer is a contact sport and it is not possible to play a good game of soccer and maintain a minimum social distance. While Washington state recently lifted some restrictions and has plans for a phased approach to reopening we just don't know if it will be enough, and soon enough, to keep the spring season viable.
Because of this uncertainty, we are developing plans for how to best move forward with the season if we are able to play - and also a contingency plan if we are unable to host the season. We understand that times are tough and we, too, as a non-profit are fighting to get through these challenging economic times to remain available as a community resource for our Spokane Valley youth. In the event that we do have to cancel our spring season we ask that those of you who are able to help at this time, please consider donating your registration fees back to the organization.
We plan to make our final decision regarding the season shortly after Washington State updates their COVID-19 regulations with the expiration of our current Stay Home, Stay Healthy order on May 4th.
We sincerely appreciate you and your trust in us as we travel through this difficult time together.